Saturday, September 15, 2007

hamburgers

For about a week my “niece” Allison has been thinking about leaving, or what is known as ET’ing. (Early Termination of service). Due to some allergies she hasn’t been eating that well and has been sick for awhile now. There were some other reasons too and she ultimately decided that Peace Corps was not for her. While she made the right decision for herself, it is a real bummer to see our first person take off. We have heard rumors that a few from the TEFL groups have already left but it wasn’t the same as one of our own. It was especially hard since she was part of my family. It was nice to have someone around the house sometimes to speak English with and feel out of place with. Also it happened sort of quickly - and when I left a note for my mama to tell her I was gonna be at the bar with everyone to say goodbye and be home late, Allison’s little sister saw my note and didn’t understand why I would say good bye to Allison. Trying to explain this was horribly awkward. For her last night though my friend Scott came over and we made cheeseburgers for our family. THEY WERE SO GOOD. We never really figured out what kind of meat we used, but it was some serious comfort food. Allison took off the next day, and as her uncle I became sole proprietor of all assets she left behind. I kept a few things like hand sanitizer and soap for myself and gave away all the rest via a trivia challenge.

1 comment:

dcgbhannon said...

David-
Wow! What else can we say? You know how proud we are of you -- your are the perfect man to experience this chance of a lifetime!
"Mystery Meat" cheeseburgers?
basketball with guys that don't shave? have you exposed them to "men in suits" yet? I expect you to be leading the parade within two years! Uncle Dennis would be proud to know you weren't allowed near the new computers again...and where is the picture of the "green mankini"? You always make us smile!
Lots of Love Always! -Aunt Cricket