Saturday, June 13, 2009

Reality Check

I just got news that a fellow volunteer's fiance passed away last week. She was a local woman and they were engaged to be married this fall. She died in a car accident (and was only 24!) We are trying to be with him and do something...but i dont even know what to say. For him, to be meet someone, plan to spend the rest of your life with her and then its over and still be in a foreign country...i can even wrap my head around it (especially because this whole experience for me is almost like fake-life...sort of). Even more tragically, automobile fatalities are not that uncommon here, because the roads are so dangerous, so many locals arent that shocked when talking about it. Its hard to see any great plan in Marina's death, but makes you realize life is precious.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel the exact same way... it's like, how do you even react to that? I think about some of the other volunteers with loved ones and... well, i don't even want to think about what that would be like for them. I don't know Matt, only met him a couple times, but it was really tough for me to read about that and try to process it. I think about what it would be like for me to loose someone and then how much more for a fiancee, you know? Like you said, life is so precious...

dcgbhannon said...

So sorry to hear of Matt's loss; he is in our prayers as is the family.