Saturday, May 31, 2008

more scouting






I have heard many cautionary tales and received many warnings about projects abruptly ending so I am pretty guarded about my scouting program. This past Wednesday we were slated to learn about maps and more on orienteering but after waiting for like 40 minutes I realized my guy/ leader was not coming and I was not pleased. I tracked him down to have some words with him but we was busy with something and very frazzled. After he asked me if was ready for Wednesday (it was Wednesday) I cooled down and explained to him that it was not in fact Tuesday. I don’t believe this helped his situation because he immediately had to leave but as he was walking away he shouted out to me “Friday 6am meet at the corner to catch the factory bus” (takes the workers to the phosphate plant). And as I walked away I heard his fading shouting voice in the distance say “were going to the Skullodrome!” This left me with 2 and a half days of wondering and getting exciting for what the Skullodrome has in store. During Nauryz (reference previous post) the Hippodrome was no slouch of a place and I had no doubts about its brother the Skullodrome – but maybe more intense and possibly narrated by Mike O’Malley and Mo (for time assistance). When getting dressed I opted to go with my sandals (chacos for you gearheads, not that I support them, but they are versatile and I got them half off) but I went with this choice of footwear because I assumed we would be hiking and I haven’t seen any real treacherous terrain in this area and knew it was going to be a hot day with the potential of hitting a river – solid analysis. Mistake. You NEVER wear sandals to the skullodrome. It turns out that the Skullodrome is a part of the nearby mountains that has some anchors for climbing. We had to first hike through the phosphate fields, which helps you literally and figuratively get in the Skullodrome zone. Arrived. Dig it. We then just hung out the whole day climbing…and of course drinking tea. The kids loved it and im still stoked about our program. Plus my man Asalanbee took it one step further and kept pointing out edible plants along the way (I couldn’t have been happier).

No comments: