Monday, February 25, 2008
Saved By My Godfather
My Uncle Jim is my Godfather…for better or for worse some might say. But those who say for worse are probably more closely related to him. Just kidding Jim – but seriously you and Nancy saved me heres how: I went into the city for a meeting and to check email. An urge struck me to swing by the post office because somehow everytime I go they tell me I have had something waiting for me in the back room for the past 11 years and that I have to pay accordingly. This time was no different but I was linguistically on point that day. The lady told me I had to pay a fee and I just went to town (you have to be forceful - it’s the only way). So I was drawing a crowd and high-fiving with the old ladies behind me cheering me on and in the end!!!...I paid. But ill be damned if I didn’t throw the money in her face!!..ok so I politely handed it to her, but you better believe it was all in small change! Hannon!!!! So anyway, I now had two large boxes. One was from the great organization named Darien Books that delivers used books to people who need them (in packages of 50 lbs). And the other was a large box from Jim and Nancy. Now I didn’t know what to do I decided to drop the books off at Spry’s place and then go to my meeting but I couldn’t get ahold of Spry. My next move was to go to the Internet cafй near his house and wait for him to text me back. When I got to the Internet cafй I noticed there were no lights on and no computers. Worst. So I set the boxes down for a rest and tried calling Spry. Then it hit me. The place is flooded, and I am an idiot. Still no Spry. So now I have my backpack and 2 heavy wet boxes with nowhere to go. I have too far to walk and too much to do to carry these around all day so now I am just upset. And it started snowing now. Thinking maybe Spry just didn’t have his cell phone on him I went to his apartment and would knock. But when I got there the outside door to the stairwell was locked and he couldn’t hear me yelling on the 6th floor. Thinking someone would have pity on me I sat down in the middle of the road and cried. Not as successful as you might think. A 6 year old hit me with a stick and I knew it was time to man up. So hoping for candy or a cyanide pill I opened the box from Jim and Nancy and what was in there but cookies and 3 backpacks! JACKPOT! So I filled the back packs with books and was good to go. The only trouble was when I walked into the bank and the security guard asked me if they were bombs. So because of incredible timing by my Godfather or luck I was saved the horrible fate of strained forearm muscles. A side note, also included in the package was A Michael Mann DVD package: the Last of the Mohicans and Miami Vice (who knew he directed both right?!) Anyway Miami Vice was such a wretchedly awful movie it almost cancels out sending the backpacks and directing Last of the Mohicans. Seriously the movie sucks. But that stroke of luck to have those backpacks most certainly made my week! Thanks guys!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dave, you are definitely lucky to have godparents that time their packages with such perfection! It sounds as though you are enjoying your time in Kstan...Love the blogs, keep 'em up! Take care! kconlon
Post a Comment